FACTMAN: The best head-to-head facts for Matchday Five of the Champions League.
● The only previous European meeting between FC Red Bull Salzburg and Chelsea came in this season’s reverse fixture on MD2, a 1-1 draw.
● Chelsea have only played two away European matches in Austria before, losing 1-0 at Weiner Sport-Club in November 1965 in the Fairs Cup and drawing 1-1 against FK Austria Wien in November 1994 in the Cup Winners’ Cup.
● RB Salzburg are winless in all seven of their European matches against English teams (D2 L5), failing to beat Blackburn Rovers (D1 L1), Manchester City (L2), Liverpool (L2) and Chelsea (D1). It is the most they’ve faced teams from a single nation without defeating in major European competition.
● The only previous European match between RB Leipzig and Real Madrid was on MD2 of this season’s UEFA Champions League, a 2-0 win for Madrid.
● Real Madrid have lost just one of their last eight away UEFA Champions League matches in Germany (W5 D2). They had lost 11 of their first 17 visits to Germany in the competition (W2 D4).
● Real Madrid are unbeaten in their last 13 games against German sides in European competition overall (W9 D4), with los Blancos scoring at least two goals in every game in this run (31 in total).
● Borussia Dortmund have won just one of their five UEFA Champions League matches against Manchester City (D1 L3), a 1-0 home win in the 2012-13 group stage.
● Manchester City have won their last three UEFA Champions League games against Borussia Dortmund, winning every game 2-1. No side has ever beaten another by the same score in four consecutive games in the Champions League (Bayern Munich beat Arsenal 5-1 three in a row between 2015 and 2017).
● Manchester City have won 14 of their last 16 UEFA Champions League matches against German teams (D1 L1) but did lose their last away game there 2-1 against RB Leipzig. City have won 16 games against German opponents in the competition, six more than against any other nation.
● Celtic have won both of their previous home European matches against Shakhtar Donetsk, winning 1-0 and 2-1 in the UEFA Champions League group stages in 2004-05 and 2007-08 respectively.
● There has never been an away win in five previous UEFA Champions League meetings between Celtic and Shakhtar Donetsk, with four home wins and one draw in the most recent meeting on MD2 this season, drawing 1-1 in Poland.
● In the previous five meetings between Celtic and Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Champions League group stage, both teams have shared two wins apiece. The one draw came in this season’s reverse fixture, with Celtic drawing 1-1 away from home.