FACTMAN: The best head-to-head facts for Matchday Three of the Champions League.
● RB Leipzig have faced Celtic twice previously, doing so in the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League group stage. Leipzig won 2-0 at home but lost 2-1 away.
● Celtic have never won an away European match in Germany in 13 previous attempts (D3 L10), failing to score in nine of those games and scoring just six goals overall.
● Scottish sides have won none of their 13 away European Cup/Champions League matches in Germany (D5 L8) since a 2-1 win for Rangers against Vorwärts Berlin in November 1961.
● This is the first time Chelsea and AC Milan have met in the UEFA Champions League since the 1999-2000 first group stage, with both games ending in draws, including a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge.
● AC Milan’s only win over Chelsea was in February 1966 in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, winning 2-1 at the San Siro. That third round tie then went to a deciding game – a 1-1 draw – and Chelsea progressed via a coin toss.
● Chelsea have only lost two of their 13 home European matches against Italian opponents (W8 D3), with both defeats coming in the UEFA Champions League: 1-2 vs Lazio in March 2000 and 0-1 vs Internazionale in March 2010.
● Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund previously faced in the UEFA Champions League in the 2020-21 season at the last 16 stage, with both games seeing both teams score twice (2-3 to Dortmund in Seville, 2-2 in Dortmund) and Dortmund progressing 5-4 on aggregate.
● Sevilla’s one win in four previous European meetings with Borussia Dortmund (D2 L1) came in September 2010 in the UEFA Europa League, a 1-0 away win thanks to a Luca Cigarini goal.
● Borussia Dortmund have only won on one of their last 11 away trips to face Spanish opponents in the UEFA Champions League (D3 L7), however that victory did come in the most recent one, against Sevilla – 3-2 in February 2021, under current boss Edin Terzić.
● Manchester City and FC København last faced in the 2008-09 UEFA Cup, with City winning 4-3 on aggregate thanks to a 2-1 win in the second leg via a Craig Bellamy brace.
● FC København have only scored one goal in six UEFA Champions League matches against English opponents (W1 D2 L3), with that goal the winner from Marcus Allback in a 1-0 win over Manchester United in November 2006.
● This is Man City’s first UEFA Champions League match against Danish opponents. They have beaten teams from 14 of the 15 nations they’ve faced previously, failing only against Scottish sides (P2 D2).